In customer service, we get asked all kinds of questions, but easily the most frequent one is “What size should I order?”
Believe it or not, most people don’t really know their true shoe size. The problem is that so many shoe manufacturers don’t run true to size – they’re either too large or too small. This is why we all own shoes with different sizes.
Here at Samuel Hubbard we understand that it can be tricky ordering shoes online without trying them on first, which is why we strive to produce shoes that are true to size, and unlike other shoe manufacturers, we take the time to perfect every shoe. Hubbards tend to lean towards a roomy, generous fit. Built based on these specifications, our shoes allow for better air circulation around your feet and some wiggle room for your toes.
Now that we’ve got that covered you’re probably still wondering what size you should choose, but don’t fret – we have a solution for you.
The most accurate method of determining your shoe size is surprisingly very simple. Remember the old fashioned-looking metal foot measuring tool on the floors of every shoe store? Well, that’s actually called a Brannock device and all of our shoe sizes are based off that tool’s measurements.
To measure your foot using the Brannock device:
1. First, you’ll need make sure the width bar is open to its widest position and the arch length is slid back so your foot can easily fit onto the device.
2. Place your foot (with socks on) onto the device with your heel against the back of the heel cup.
3. Make sure your toes are flat against the bottom of the device and look straight down.
4. Your size is where your longest toe touches the horizontal sizing lines. If your foot is between sizes, we recommend ordering the larger size.
If you can’t get to a shoe store to use the Brannock device, that’s okay – we’ve got you covered. We created a printable version of the Brannock measurement tool.
Simply print out the measuring tool and connect the two pages together using the alignment arrows.
To measure your foot using the printable tool:
1. First, make sure you print the pages at 100% Actual Size. Do not use “Fit to Page” or it will alter the size. When printed correctly the inch markings should match up with a ruler.
2. Tape or staple the two pages together using the alignment arrows.
3. Place your foot (with socks on) onto the tool with your heel aligned with the printed heel shape.
4.Your size is where your longest toe touches the horizontal sizing lines. If your foot is between sizes, we recommend ordering the larger size.
5. Alternately, you could carefully trace your foot on paper and look up your size on the same chart in either inches or centimeters.
Now you know what size to order, but what about width?
For our men’s shoes, Medium width is equivalent to a D width and Wide width is equivalent to a EE width. Our women’s shoes are currently only available in a Medium width which is equivalent to a B width.
Determining your shoe width using our printable measurement tool is easy – If the inside of your foot crosses the vertical line for your size then you would need to order a Wide width shoe.
Now that you know your true shoe size, it’s time to enjoy the comfort of your new Hubbards. We want you to be 100% satisfied with your shoes, so if the fit isn’t perfect please give us a call at 844.482.4800. Our award winning customer service team is happy to help. You can reach us Monday through Friday, 8AM – 5PM PT.